Saturday, November 24, 2012

Dance Yourself Out of Boredom

Wintersweet
Disclaimer: This post is about Second Life. This post is not about dancing in clubs. Nevertheless, if you’re crazy enough, you might end up dancing all over Second Life. Disturbing thought, I know.


One of the most intriguing things I have heard in Second Life (SL) is that people get bored. To be honest, my main problem in SL is the fact that I don’t have enough time to do everything I want. There are so many interesting, extravagant, challenging events to attend. There are so many inspiring, horrid (hah!), and utterly beautiful destinations to visit. How could one get bored? I have asked this question over and over again to SL residents and many were the replies, depending understandably on the type of person I was talking to.
For the sake of simplicity, I will divide the population of SL residents in two distinct groups (there are many more, I know, but bear with me). On one hand, you have your regular social types. They might get bored, but they always find a way of engaging and figuring out what to do next. On the other hand, you have your contact-shy types. They need some sort of structure, either via the people they share a virtual life with or some sort of “roadmap” of places, events to attend.
Let’s focus on the latter group. Many were the complaints they shared - that it’s difficult finding places to visit; everything is confusing; there’s nothing to do, but the most compelling reason was loneliness. Some people find it extremely difficult to strike a conversation with a perfect stranger and it becomes boring to have no one to share your SL experiences with.
So, here are a few suggestions. At first glance, they might not sound too social, but keep reading!

* Check some blogs about SL – there are a number of blogs with daily posts suggesting/mentioning sims you can visit;
* Check the social media – a lot of SL residents have a presence in social media and share their SL experiences there;
* Search the Destination Guide – yes, it only features an infinitesimal part of what you can do and see in SL, but it’s a start;
* Open the map in your SL viewer, scroll left/right/up/down at will and simply double-click on a sim – that easy? Yep! I have found some unexpected gems this way;
* Check Search - it’s fairly well organized and the array of options is interesting;
* Do a Search for Games in SL – there are a few games out there you will enjoy;
* Do a Search for Hunts in SL – I can hear you thinking “but I haaaaate hunts…” Ok, fair enough, but I must tell you I have made a few fun friends going on hunts! I still remember a “victory dance” we used to do when we found the prize; by the middle of the hunt, we had a group of 5 or 6 people going from store to store and doing the “victory dance” much to the amazement of all the other hunters!

So, if you are trying your best not to leave Second Life, give the suggestions above a shot and you just might stumble upon someone interesting, someone you can share your own “victory dance” with.

No comments:

Post a Comment